[JPL] Sean Jones/Gospel/Tomasz

John Simna jsimna at wclv.com
Tue Aug 22 14:13:12 EDT 2006

Jae asked:
I'm curious to know and considering the gospel and spirtual overtones on
this release are there any that might perhaps shy away from playing a
recording like this because of these religious inflections?...

The Sean Jones just arrived at WCLV today, so I haven't really had a chance
to lsiten to it yet.  I'm biased towards his playing as he appeared fairly
ofen around Cleveland while he was in school and was always outstanding.
(Still comes back from time to time.)

As far as religious content goes, I certainly wouldn't find it a deterrent.
Occasionally, I'll group several such pieces together, including
Eastern-influenced items as well.  It's perhaps more evident in the Western
classical music that is the bulk of our programming, but religious thoughts
have certainly inspired much great music.  It's probably become more obvious
in jazz since Coltrane's explorations and Duke Ellington's Sacred Concerts.

Tomasz Stanko - so far I've gone with Lontano III, but I love his sound.  A
drive to Toledo or Columbus from Cleveland to see him in October would be
worthwhile...

John Simna
jsimna at wclv.com