[JPL] Sean Jones/Gospel/Tomasz

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 22 14:23:30 EDT 2006

Considering the significance of gospel and spirituals in early jazz
(Black church music, marching bands at funerals, etc.) I'd say no, one
shouldn't ignore those influences when they occur today ... see also
Gerri Allen's new CD and those by Jimmy Greene,  Cyrus Chestnut, et al.
   But it does make me uncomfortable when it begins to feel like
proselytizing and I tend to avoid it then.   Perhaps one should listen
to the music before you get too hung up on the titles, but public radio
should probably avoid appearing to endorse or promote a particular
religion.  Touchy question... no doubt.

Jim