[JPL] Still Another Jazz Show Aug 21

Dick Crockett bopndick at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 25 03:37:02 EDT 2006

Still Another Jazz Show     Aug 21

AKIRA TANA TRIO       “Sweet Stuff”   MOON OVER THE
WORLD
Sons Of Sound Records

LARRY VUCKOVICH     “Blue In Green”    STREET SCENE
Tetrachord Records

JOE LOVANO ENSEMBLE    “The Birth Of The Cool Suite”
STREAMS OF EXPRESSION      Blue Note

DAVE STRYKER      “Our Miss Brooks”   THE CHASER
Mel Bay Records

TYPHANIE MONIQUE& NEAL ALGER    “Song For My Father”
“Afro Blue”
INTRENSIC      blueJazz

WINARD HARPER SEXTET    “After Hours”   MAKE IT HAPPEN
  Piadrum Records

KAT PARRA    “Mas Que Nada” “Dame Lallave”   “Birds In
Flight”     BIRDS IN FLIGHT  JazzMa Records

D.D. JACKSON      “Three Shades Of Mingus”  “The Con”
SERENITY SONG Justin Time Records

DEEP BLUE ORGAN TRIO     “Once I Loved”   GOIN' TO
TOWN    Delmark Records

JOE WILLIAMS and BEN WEBSTER  “Kansas City Blues”
HAVIN A GOOD TIME      Hyena Records

SCOTT HAMILTON       “Flamingo”      NOCTURNES &
SERENADES
Concord Jazz

I've been listening over and over to this Horace
Silver song , “Sweet Stuff” by the AKIRA TANA TRIO
with Ted Lo on piano from the MUSIC OF THE WORLD cd.
It's the embodiment of  sixties hard bop  romance.
The way nite clubs would sound in those days, very
cool , very hip, smokey, laid back  with a Dewers on
the rocks and a twist.  Put out the Marlboro and dance
close after the last round, it's closing time and the
night becomes Electra. All this after a few drinks and
aromatic “Sweet Stuff.” settling vaporous in your gray
matter like a hypnotic overhead fan,  the way Silver
could put it to you and in this case with drummer
Akira Tana's trio with Rufus Reid, bass and Ted Lo,
piano.
If you want to put your classic remarks here, you're
more than welcome. This is part of what  post modern
romance is about, in all due perspective of what the
late night shows around America were all about, too
hip, too cool for normal day nomenclature. When the
guys would gather on the bandstand in slim ties, three
button suites with Stetson  shoes, carefully unloading
their cases, a quick sound check and that's the way it
was... This song from THIS cd tells a story without
words, as well as many other, when feelings are out
there and honesty permeates your soul, there's no
excuse, no description how it feels, very personal,
for no poetry here is lost for words.
What brought this feeling?  Frankly it was the new
LARRY VUCKOVICH CD,
STREET SCENE.  As Akira Tana plays drums on this new
one and now a  more versatile and worldly Larry
Grenadier on bass, a former understudy to Vuckovich ,
now a prominent player with BRAD MEHLDAU.
There you have it, jazz buzz is really a pick up game
between the younger and older, the sophisticated and
could care less, the blaze' and not so blaze', the 'I
beg your pardon' and 'step aside, I'll blow you away.'
We played a sensitive solo  performance by Vuckovich,
Miles, “Blue In Green.” What a great in title to a
song as one color blends into another,'in' with one
primary merging into a secondary as it again declares
what a great pianist can do to warm your soul.
You'll no doubt agree this  new Larry Vuckovich cd has
to be one of this year's best!
JOE LOVANO continues this romance with bop with “The
Birth Of The Cool Suite” from his new STREAMS OF
EXPRESSION  cd.   It's a tribute to Lovano's
expression and his fondness for Gunther Schuller and
this music that inspired so many after the bebop
revolution and when you hear the middle part, “Move,”
you think Miles, Gil Evans,Baker and Mulligan.  That
certainly what it's about, isn't it.
Guitarist,  DAVE STRYKER  begins the 2nd segment of
SAJS with his new cd, THE CHASER.  We played the
Harold Vick blues classic, “Our Miss Brooks.” Was the
original with Jack McDuff?  Organist Jared Gold blends
a stirring performance with Stryker's rythmn guitar.
Remember Mr Funk Grant Green and his cousin the count
of funk, Harold Vick? It's called tellin' it like it
is!
TYPHANIE  MONIQUE & NEAL ALGER  visit here this week
with performances in San Francisco,  Petaluma and
Vacaville. So in honor , we played “Song For My
Father” and “AfroBlue”  from their INTRINSIC cd.  This
is a very intimate progressive  gathering with two
talented artists for which Northern California and
Chicago artists mingle well.Then, WINARD HARPER SEXTET
concludes this segment with a grooving version of
“After Hours” and meshes well with the character of
this song. If I'm not mistaken Cannonball Adderley
would do this tune and Bobby Timmons as well.   To say
it's a crowd pleaser is an understatement as the
Winard Harper band really lays it out with Wycliffe
Gordon, Josh Evans and Lawrence Clark combining the
harmony.  KAT PARRA begins the 2nd hour of SAJS with
her new cd, BIRDS IN FLIGHT.   Originally from Chile,
Parra has exceptional range and dynamics. We played
three songs that show her versatility.   The standard,
“Mas Que Nada” with an uptempo modern samba with an
interesting hip hop vocal riff by her son Pat toward
the conclusion. Then a more  traditional “Dame La
Llave” to a more modern energetic “Birds In Flight.”
 D.D JACKSON is next  from his new SERENITY SONG CD as
he roils us with Mingus gleeful rage in “Three Shades
Of Mingus.”  This tune is stunning in it's pure
explosive energy. Soprano saxophonist Sam Newsome
appears here with Jackson. We also played “The Con,”
which sounds like a music to a silent Charley Chaplin
movie. DEEP ORGAN TRIO begins the last segment of SAJS
 with LIVE At THE GREEN MILL  with Chris Forman on
Hammond B-3, Bobby Broom , guitar and Greg Rockingham
on drums. This is an excellent live presentation,
clean natural as if you're right there, the way live
gigs should sound. Speaking of 'live' gigs, classic
ones at that we just had to play JOE WILLIAMS WITH BEN
WEBSTER HAVIN' A GOOD TIME.   This was recorded at
Pio's in Providence R.I. 1964 and released for the
first time making this one of the most interesting
recordings released last year on Hyena Records.  A
real treasure with a young  Junior Mance on piano and
Ben Webster just hanging out from the cold snowy
night.  What seemed a series of improbable events
became a real gem captured on tape for posterity. I
think this is the first release  of this recording
remastered and  packaged for Hyena Records.    This is
really what the music is all about , when people lose
their day to day blues and show up on a cold snowy
night to witness pure magic in the air. We played
“Kansas City Blues” written by Joe Turner and played
here with fine precision fun by Bob Crenshaw on bass
and Mickey Roker on drums, just the way you slap it on
with Junior Mance  really playing some nice heavy
blues.   Joe Turner's is really a shout, a soliloquy
on the sweet night life. Then you have Ben Webster and
Joe Williams telling like it is....Of Joe Williams has
to be one of the best jazz singer of all time and to
hear him in this setting is pricelss.
Saxophonist SCOTT HAMILTON concludes with “Flamingo”
from his latest NOCTURNES & SERENADES.    Slow and
sensuous, this one will grab you as you can hear the
band 'getting off 'on this and other selections here.
Remember the pangs of romance in your young brief
life. Serenades & Nocturnes will certainly bring it
all back.   My favorite were Johnny Hodges, Coleman
Hawkins and Ben Webster to cavort this sort of thing
and Scott Hamilton hits you right in the solar plexis
of your most cherished moments.
Note:  This show was special to me because I know this
the way Jim Rockwell would do it. Start slow with a
highly recognizable“Sweet Stuff” that you can never
tired of, do some live gigs in the middle and stay
close to the sophistication and groove until the end.
He had the best all night show I've ever heard with
guests like Carmen McRae, Sarah Vaughn, June Christy
just showing after their gigs in town. It was always
casual, cool and luminous with Jim. He was slight with
thin hair always smiling and in a very low key
enrapture you with his style and stories. He was a man
who thoroughly enjoyed his work and was one of the
most regular guys, the charm of the Midwest. Then one
day he said with a smile, “I 'm moving to Houston,” he
said without fan fare. His wife was ailing and her
family was there.   He sold his vast record collection
back,  never turning back, leaving town on the next
train, for his mission was complete.  I know it sounds
mellowdramatic, but that it was in radio. The really
great ones all over the country create such a repore
with their audience, the intimacy that can't be
duplicated other than in radio.
We had them in Detroit, Ed McKensie, Johnny Slagle,
Bud Davies, Tom Clay, Tom Shannon, Lee Allen, as well
as you've had in your town. There have been many
others, too numerous to tell.
You know REAL.  You can spot the difference, for the
glamor of bull crap is more bull crap!
So stay true to your school and follow the bliss of
your dreams!
Later...

Dick Crockett
STILL ANOTHER JAZZ SHOW