[JPL] Re: Maynard Ferguson

Andy Cook ajcook68 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 25 08:29:20 EDT 2006

I grew in a house where my step dad played a lot of jazz trumpeters on the turntable, and Maynard was one of them.  All God's Children Got Rhythm was the first Maynard tune I ever heard.  The first jazz concert I attended as a teenager in 1982 was Maynard Ferguson, and the Buddy Rich Big Band, I thought Maynard and his trumpet section were going to blow the tent off it was so loud.  It was "heavy metal jazz" without the guitars.  I remember seeing a clean cut Greg Bisonette on drums, before he went on tour with David Lee Roth.

  However, it was Maynard's solos with Stan Kenton that really got my attention. Great tunes like Viva Prado, What's New, and Kenton's tune for Maynard, "Maynard Ferguson."  There is also the Emarcy live recording, Jam Session, with the Clifford Brown/Max Roach Quintet that is incredible too.

  Maynard was truly at the forefront of innovation in the 1970s when he, Buddy Rich, and Don Ellis introduced Big Band Jazz/Rock.  I have all of Maynard's M.F. Horn recordings.  When I was in elementary and junior high school, I introduced a lot of my friends to jazz and Maynard's music by playing his versions of Theme from Shaft,
  Rocky, Chameleon, and Eli's Comin. While most of the kids I went to school with were bringing in Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, The Village People, and the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack into music class. I was bringing in Maynard Ferguson, Chuck Mangione, and Don Ellis. They all thought I was weird and crazy, but some came up to me and said, "Hey, who's that Maynard guy?, Where can I find that record?

  Andy Cook
  WFNX Jazz Brunch