[JPL] Chicago's Jazz Showcase must move

Dr. Jazz drjazz at drjazz.com
Mon Aug 28 18:46:35 EDT 2006

Venerable Jazz Showcase losing its lease, founder says

Howard Reich

August 28 2006

The Jazz Showcase -- Chicago's most celebrated and long-running jazz
club--is losing its lease, Showcase founder Joe Segal said Sunday night.

The club, which for a decade has featured some of the world's biggest jazz
stars in tony quarters at 59 W. Grand Ave., must leave by Jan. 1, Segal said.

"We don't know where we're going or what's going to happen yet," said
Segal, who has been presenting jazz in Chicago at various locations since 1947.

"I'm pretty tired of moving," added Segal, 80.

Segal was not certain what would happen to the room after he moves. His
landlord could not be reached for comment late Sunday.

Before arriving in March 1996 at the current location, the Jazz Showcase
had flourished for 14 years in the Blackstone Hotel, at 636 S. Michigan.
The impresario lost that room when new owners took over the building.

The Jazz Showcase, believed to be the country's second-oldest continuously
running jazz club after the Village Vanguard in New York, in earlier
incarnations presented touring artists on North Rush Street, North Lincoln
Avenue, in the Loop and on the South Side.

Virtually everyone significant in jazz has played for Segal during the past
59 years, from bebop icon Charlie Parker to contemporary masters such as
Roy Hargrove.

In recent years, Segal's son Wayne has been a major player in running the
Grand Avenue location and in programming Joe's Bebop Cafe and Jazz
Emporium, an affiliated room on Navy Pier.

Where will the Jazz Showcase resurface?

"I'm not sure yet," Segal said.

"We've heard that the South Loop is hot."

Dr. Jazz
Dr. Jazz Operations
24270 Eastwood
Oak Park, MI  48237