[JPL] Ray Charles with Count Basie Orchestra

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 28 23:56:24 EDT 2006

(Sorry - I accidently sent the previous response before I wrote the
following...)

I'm a little surprised that some are so quick to condemn a CD they
haven't heard.

Yes - I do think the process is a little weird, but according to the
article which sparked this discussion:

"The quality of these reels wasn't great ... they appeared to be
recordings from the live soundboard with Ray's vocal way up front, and
the band way in the background.  At first, the tapes seemed unusable,
but Ray sounded amazing.... I was disappointed that Ray wasn't
performing with the Basie Band. But, then I thought we could re-record
the music with the current Basie Orchestra."

If it's from the 70s and from the house sound mix - it's probably mono
or at best stereo, not multi tracked and the band may well be so low in
the mix as to make a poor mix for CD.  It's probably not "fixable"
without re-recording the band.  Is there still a Ray Charles band to
re-record the parts or is the current Basie band a viable alternative?

Yes, it sounds like an attempt to cash in on "anything Ray Charles"
after the success of Genius loves Company which (let's be honest) isn't
one of his greatest albums.  But there were some great pairings before
that, like Ray and Bags, Ray and Quincy... and Ray and Basie certainly
seems to be in that company even if assembled after the principals are
no longer able to interact directly.  They did do a lot of concerts
together.   And if  "Ray sounded amazing"... his voice could inspire
the current Basie band to back him like he was there in the studio with
them.

It just might work.... personally, I think I'll wait 'til I hear it to
pass judgment.   But generally I think we should let artists RIP after
they've gone, when they can no longer have a say on which of their
performances will be issued and in what form.   I wonder how they feel
about all the busted takes and rejected performances being issued in
the interests of "completeness".   They're probably listening, you know.

Jim Wilke
Jazz After Hours, PRI
www.jazzafterhours.org