[JPL] North Sea Jazz Festival - The Hague Years

Lenny Mazel jazz at kcme.org
Tue Aug 29 11:49:29 EDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: jazzproglist-bounces at jazzweek.com
[mailto:jazzproglist-bounces at jazzweek.com] On Behalf Of Jae Sinnett
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 6:18 PM
To: Jazz Programmers Mailing List
Subject: [JPL] North Sea Jazz Festival - The Hague Years

Has anyone else received this four CD box set of the selected radio
recordings from Radio Netherlands? It's truly amazing. The live performances
are over several years from the North Sea Jazz Festival and features
everyone from Miles to the Harper Brothers to Zawinul to Toots Thielemans to
Brubeck to Maria Schneider to Blakey to Buddy Rich to Diana Krall.
Wow....I'm not sure how or when we started receiving product from them but
this is a must for the collection. I'm curious to know what others think
that did receive it.

  Jae Sinnett

I received the set, and it is quite amazing.  The 38 tracks span 1977 to
2005, and though there is material not appropriate for my shows (and I could
have done without two tracks apiece from Diana Krall and Jamie Cullum), I'm
giving it airplay.  Last Saturday I played the incredible 19 minute, 47
second performance by Bobby McFerrin and Chico Freeman of My One And Only
Love from 1982, and immediately received a phone call from a listener who
wanted to buy it.  Unfortunately, I had to inform him that the set is not
available to the public.

Lenny Mazel
Jazz Director
KCME-FM