[JPL] Re: Ray Charles with Count Basie Orchestra

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 30 11:35:30 EDT 2006


It would also seem to me that someone who maintains the rights to Ray's music and performances agreed to this so I don't think we should totally point fingers at the company. 
   
  Jae Sinnett

Al Karia <jctrane at gmail.com> wrote:
  -------------------------------------------

This week's sponsor:  Dare2 and Sunnyside Records

-------------------------------------------

The Jazz Programmers Mailing List is a free service provided by JazzWeek.
For more information visit us at http://www.jazzweek.com/jpl
To become a sponsor contact Ed Trefzger 
at ed.trefzger at jazzweek.com or 866-453-6401.

-------------------------------------------
Re: Ray Charles/Count Basie amalgum
Seems to me that the issue that no one has addressed in the
discussion so far is the most basic one: To what extent should
recorded music be 'tweaked' in ways beyond the control and assent of
the artists? Is it OK for an engineer to downplay or eliminate noise
occurring in a live-concert recording? How about artificially
modulating the sound levels in the pursuit of more appealling product?
How 'bout technically eliminating a solo with a 'clunker' in it ?
(You all know Miles' opinion about that). How about actually releasing
a product (e.g., Bird's infamous Dial session breakdown) that is
embarrassing to the artist?
Of course, the Ray-Basie product is a contrivance, pure and
simple. i wonder how each of us would feel if, after our 'departure',
some well-meaning (?) organization decided to cut and splice our own
on-air product to THEIR tastes. The possibilities for abuse are
rampant.
Gene Abkarian
KRFC Ft Collins, CO

On 8/30/06, Ron Gill wrote:
> -------------------------------------------
>
> This week's sponsor: Dare2 and Sunnyside Records
>
> -------------------------------------------
>
> The Jazz Programmers Mailing List is a free service provided by JazzWeek.
> For more information visit us at http://www.jazzweek.com/jpl
> To become a sponsor contact Ed Trefzger
> at ed.trefzger at jazzweek.com or 866-453-6401.
>
> -------------------------------------------
> =====================
> From: "Bradley M. Stone" 
> Date: 2006/08/29 Tue AM 11:58:54 CDT
> To: Jazz Programmers Mailing List 
> Subject: RE: [JPL] Ray Charles with Count Basie Orchestra
>
> -------------------------------------------
>
> This week's sponsor: Dare2 and Sunnyside Records
> -------------------------------------------
>
> The Jazz Programmers Mailing List is a free service provided by JazzWeek.
> For more information visit us at http://www.jazzweek.com/jpl
> To become a sponsor contact Ed Trefzger
> at ed.trefzger at jazzweek.com or 866-453-6401.
>
> -------------------------------------------
> After reading the comments here regarding Ray and Basie
> I begin to wonder what our responsibilities are as programmers of jazz,
> which we all love so much.
> Those of us who are purists get called such things as 'jazz police' and
> other names because we feel the need to protect and immortalize the history
> of the music that starts with Louis and moved forward.
> As a performer of jazz, a programmer and president of a jazz organization, I
> am in that court of making sure this music is respected and appreciated.
> I wonder how many on this list ARE willing to stand tall and NOT play this
> recording as was suggested by another person on this list.
> Yes, it may sound wonderful...but what is the purpose, other than making a
> few dollars?
> Why couldn't the powers that were there when Basie and Ray were alive see
> the great possibilities of pairing them when they were with us? Like
> Basie/Ellington did years ago, or Eckstine/Basie on Roulette.
> I have many wishes in my head of such things..Ellington/Eckstine, for
> example. Eckstine did wonderful things with Duke's music, but I know of no
> recording with them.
> But, would it be right to pair them now, after they are gone? I don't think
> so.
> Just some thoughts.
> Ron Gill
> Jazz Gallery
> WGBH Radio 89.7
> Boston, MA
>
> If the listeners made that judgement, then that would be one less reason to
> have Music Directors! Maybe we (Jazz) should just go into the audience
> research game, and have the tracks rated by the audience, like Smooth Jazz
> started years ago!
>
> Brad
>
> *************************************************
> Dr. Brad Stone
> Music Director (Jazz, Blues, World Music)
> and Faculty Advisor
> KSJS-FM
> 1 Washington Square
> San Jose State University
> San Jose, CA 95192-0094
> www.ksjs.org
>
> Home Office:
> 9381 Durango Lane
> Gilroy, CA 95020
> Music Calls: Wednesdays, 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., PT
> (408) 848-6266
> bstone at science.sjsu.edu
> **************************************************
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: jazzproglist-bounces at jazzweek.com
> [mailto:jazzproglist-bounces at jazzweek.com]On Behalf Of JeffKtpt at aol.com
> Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 8:45 PM
> To: jazzproglist at jazzweek.com
> Subject: Re: [JPL] Ray Charles with Count Basie Orchestra
>
>
> -------------------------------------------
>
> This week's sponsor: Dare2 and Sunnyside Records
>
> -------------------------------------------
>
> The Jazz Programmers Mailing List is a free service provided by JazzWeek.
> For more information visit us at http://www.jazzweek.com/jpl
> To become a sponsor contact Ed Trefzger
> at ed.trefzger at jazzweek.com or 866-453-6401.
>
> -------------------------------------------
>
>
> In a message dated 8/28/2006 7:48:50 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
> EdBride at aol.com writes:
>
> Does the Jazz Programmer community have the guts to give this album its
> due...by not playing it? Or is the Jazz Programmer community supposed to
> let
> the
> listener make that sort of judgement?
>
>
> I suppose you should let the listener make that judgement.
>
>
> Jeff Kaye
> 4320 Finley Ave. # 3
> Los Angeles, Cal. 90027
> _www.jeffkayejazz.com_ (http://www.jeffkayejazz.com/)
> -------------------------------------------
>
> This week's sponsor: Dare2 and Sunnyside Records
>
> -------------------------------------------
> Following up his Grammy award-winning album Overtime, DAVE HOLLAND returns
> with CRITICAL MASS, the first new studio album in five years from his highly
> acclaimed quintet featuring CHRIS POTTER (tenor and soprano), STEVE NELSON
> (vibes), ROBIN EUBANKS (trombone), and NATE SMITH (drums). CRITICAL MASS
> features eight road-tested, original compositions on record for the first
> time and, of course, masterful performances by a jazz group that has become
> a trademark for excellence in music.
>
> ON YOUR DESKS NOW!
>
> GOING FOR ADDS: 8/28 and 8/29
>
> IN STORES: 8/29
>
> FALL TOUR DATES, UPDATED BIO, PRESS RELEASE, PHOTOS and more, please visit
> Rock Paper Scissors's OPK at: http://tinyurl.com/fkfls
>
> LIMITED TIME ONLY!!! -- 100 MP3 free copies of a new version Dave's classic
> tune Dream of the Elders (recorded during the Critical Mass sessions) are
> available for download here: http://tinyurl.com/nf5hn
>
> For more information, interviews, etc. -- please contact:
> garrett at sunnysiderecords.com
>
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> Send jazzproglist mailing list submissions to
> jazzproglist at jazzweek.com
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> http://lists.jazzweek.com/mailman/listinfo/jazzproglist
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> jazzproglist-request at jazzweek.com
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> jazzproglist-owner at jazzweek.com
> -------------------------------------------
>
> This week's sponsor: Dare2 and Sunnyside Records
>
> -------------------------------------------
> Following up his Grammy award-winning album Overtime, DAVE HOLLAND returns
> with CRITICAL MASS, the first new studio album in five years from his highly
> acclaimed quintet featuring CHRIS POTTER (tenor and soprano), STEVE NELSON
> (vibes), ROBIN EUBANKS (trombone), and NATE SMITH (drums). CRITICAL MASS
> features eight road-tested, original compositions on record for the first
> time and, of course, masterful performances by a jazz group that has become
> a trademark for excellence in music.
>
> ON YOUR DESKS NOW!
>
> GOING FOR ADDS: 8/28 and 8/29
>
> IN STORES: 8/29
>
> FALL TOUR DATES, UPDATED BIO, PRESS RELEASE, PHOTOS and more, please visit
> Rock Paper Scissors's OPK at: http://tinyurl.com/fkfls
>
> LIMITED TIME ONLY!!! -- 100 MP3 free copies of a new version Dave's classic
> tune Dream of the Elders (recorded during the Critical Mass sessions) are
> available for download here: http://tinyurl.com/nf5hn
>
> For more information, interviews, etc. -- please contact:
> garrett at sunnysiderecords.com
>
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> Send jazzproglist mailing list submissions to
> jazzproglist at jazzweek.com
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> http://lists.jazzweek.com/mailman/listinfo/jazzproglist
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> jazzproglist-request at jazzweek.com
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> jazzproglist-owner at jazzweek.com
>
>
> Ron Gill
> -------------------------------------------
>
> This week's sponsor: Dare2 and Sunnyside Records
>
> -------------------------------------------
> Following up his Grammy award-winning album Overtime, DAVE HOLLAND returns
> with CRITICAL MASS, the first new studio album in five years from his highly
> acclaimed quintet featuring CHRIS POTTER (tenor and soprano), STEVE NELSON
> (vibes), ROBIN EUBANKS (trombone), and NATE SMITH (drums). CRITICAL MASS
> features eight road-tested, original compositions on record for the first
> time and, of course, masterful performances by a jazz group that has become
> a trademark for excellence in music.
>
> ON YOUR DESKS NOW!
>
> GOING FOR ADDS: 8/28 and 8/29
>
> IN STORES: 8/29
>
> FALL TOUR DATES, UPDATED BIO, PRESS RELEASE, PHOTOS and more, please visit
> Rock Paper Scissors's OPK at: http://tinyurl.com/fkfls
>
> LIMITED TIME ONLY!!! -- 100 MP3 free copies of a new version Dave's classic
> tune Dream of the Elders (recorded during the Critical Mass sessions) are
> available for download here: http://tinyurl.com/nf5hn
>
> For more information, interviews, etc. -- please contact:
> garrett at sunnysiderecords.com
>
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> Send jazzproglist mailing list submissions to
> jazzproglist at jazzweek.com
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> http://lists.jazzweek.com/mailman/listinfo/jazzproglist
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> jazzproglist-request at jazzweek.com
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> jazzproglist-owner at jazzweek.com
>
-------------------------------------------

This week's sponsor:  Dare2 and Sunnyside Records

-------------------------------------------
Following up his Grammy award-winning album Overtime, DAVE HOLLAND returns with CRITICAL MASS, the first new studio album in five years from his highly acclaimed quintet featuring CHRIS POTTER (tenor and soprano), STEVE NELSON (vibes), ROBIN EUBANKS (trombone), and NATE SMITH (drums). CRITICAL MASS features eight road-tested, original compositions on record for the first time and, of course, masterful performances by a jazz group that has become a trademark for excellence in music.

ON YOUR DESKS NOW!

GOING FOR ADDS: 8/28 and 8/29

IN STORES: 8/29

FALL TOUR DATES, UPDATED BIO, PRESS RELEASE, PHOTOS and more, please visit Rock Paper Scissors's OPK at: http://tinyurl.com/fkfls

LIMITED TIME ONLY!!! -- 100 MP3 free copies of a new version Dave's classic tune Dream of the Elders (recorded during the Critical Mass sessions) are available for download here: http://tinyurl.com/nf5hn

For more information, interviews, etc. -- please contact: garrett at sunnysiderecords.com

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Send jazzproglist mailing list submissions to
jazzproglist at jazzweek.com

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
http://lists.jazzweek.com/mailman/listinfo/jazzproglist
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
jazzproglist-request at jazzweek.com

You can reach the person managing the list at
jazzproglist-owner at jazzweek.com


 		
---------------------------------
 All-new Yahoo! Mail - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.


More information about the jazzproglist mailing list