[JPL] How about dead people endorising products in ads???

HighNote Records jazzdepo at ix.netcom.com
Wed Aug 30 14:06:40 EDT 2006

I can't get quite as upset as Arturo at the use of past celebrities in ads
so long as proper permission is obtained from the estates of the deceased.
If the heirs of a celebrity feel that the likeness of their illustrious
ancestor may be used to sell cars, banking services, laxatives or candy
bars, who am I to nay say?  I, for one, am happy to sit back and have one
last smile from someone long gone.

I also don't mind colorizing all that much.  Many young people today will
not watch a b&w flick just because it is not in color.  If colorizing brings
a few people to the film that would otherwise would not have watched it,
more power to you.  After all, the colorization process does not destroy the
original b&w which is still available to purists like Arturo and myself.
However, I don't see what harm colorizing the Three Stooges could do.  It is
not like they are cinematic masterpieces along the lines of "Casablanca",
"Citizen Kane" or Paul Muni's "Scarface".  I am rather fond of my colorized
version of Laurel & Hardy's "The Music Box".  But, then again, I am just a
piano player.

Respectfully submitted,

Ray Osnato
HighNote Records