[JPL] Ray & Basie

Eric Jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Thu Aug 31 11:29:24 EDT 2006

Anybody remember when Alice overdubbed strings on a John Coltrane album? I
think she said the original recordings were not technically recorded well so
she did the overdub to replace some of the original parts. She added the
strings but she said that Trane had instructed her to do that posthumously.

One thing I didn't like about the Ray/Basie project is that they said they
altered Ray's vocal tracks to make the music fit. They added spaces, took out
space, etc. That I didn't like. Part of what makes an artist an individual is
his or her phrasing. Messing with space is messing with phrasing. That's
something I think only the artist or someone he worked with doing the same
job should attempt to do. In other words, if someone regularly did that job
on Ray's recordings I would be less opposed to them doing that kind of
editing. Otherwise, I don't think that should be touched.

Eric Jackson
8 pm - mid Mon - Thurs
WGBH Boston
89.7 FM