[JPL] broadcasting obscenities

Arturo arturo893 at qwest.net
Fri Feb 3 11:33:37 EST 2006

I consider myself very fortunate to have been raised in So Calif in the
1960's. Because of the car culture of Greater L A, So Cal had/has the most
competitive radio market in the country. In the 60's I had the privilege of
listening to Tom Donahue's second free-form, underground FM station, KPPC in
Pasadena as well as Pacifica's KPFK. Both would play music with obscenities,
I recall clearly one 4th of July that KPFK aired George Carlin's "Seven
Words" monologue in its entirety without editing under the guise of freedom
of speech and the validity of the FCC's censoring capabilities with much
success. To the best of my knowledge and recollection, no on air host ever
uttered any profanity, they let the music or recordings say it all.

It's my understanding the FCC allows obscenities to be broadcast in
"non-family" hours, 12:01am until 5:59am, I say this because when I first
relocated to Miami in 1989 and became involved with the then "free form"
community station WDNA, they would play hip hop music laced with 4-letters
words without any problems on an overnight Saturday to Sunday show.
Enthused by this open format, I hosted a documentary on the history of
profanity on records, from the 1920's through the late 1980's playing
examples of my references. This was done in conjunction with the notorious
Two Live Crew trial going on in nearby Ft. Lauderdale that had Luther "Luke"
Campbell and group on trial for rapping obscenities in a club in Broward
County during a live performance. If you don't know, they were declared
innocent and it ruined the career of the Broward County Sheriff, Nick
Navarro who prosecuted them.

Arturo Gómez
Music Director, Jazz 89-KUVO
The Oasis In The City