[JPL] Jazz Cubano - Irakere

Thomas M "Biz" Bisard mrbiz at torchlake.com
Wed Feb 8 11:27:04 EST 2006

Hi all,

Arturo et al prompted this post. I recently took
advantage of my Netflix sub to catch "Chucho
Valdés & Irakere - Latin Jazz Founders series."
This 2 hour flick is well worth adding to your
rental list if you use this service. Chucho wrote
monster parts for his horn men after they told
him how much work they could handle. Holy bat
guano were they GOOD!! Great interviews
throughout the disc. A tip if you watch it and
are Español impaired: Set the language to English
w/ English subtitles on. You'll get the narrator
in English but still get the players in Spanish
w/ the subtitles. btw, I've put in a reissue
request to Sony for a cd or so gleaned from the
Irakere live session at the '78 Newport Jazz
Festival. Feel free to go visit their site and do the same. :-)

Biz @ WNMC

ps. I'm still bugging Sony to reissue Maynard's
"MF Horn 4 & 5 - Live at Jimmy's," too!