[JPL] Butterfield Blues Band...and speaking of Buzzy Feiten

Jazz Promo Services jazzpromo at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 8 12:12:41 EST 2006

East-West Live [LIVE]

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000034D7/102-5515741-8852947?v=glance&n=5
174\\

Jeff Turton wrote:

Anyone remember Full Moon ? Buzzy Feiten (who came in after Michael
Bloomfield left) hooked up with Philip and I believe Neil Larson,
Gene Dinwiddie and other Butterfield Band to form that band. I still
love that first record they made, though it's been out of print for many
years.

I wade in:

I don't remember Full Moon, but Buzzy did some great funky pickin' in
'72 on what I believe was the last incarnation of The Young Rascals
w/ Feliz Cavaliere. They switched from Atlantic to Columbia,
shortened the name of the group to The Rascals and did an album
called "The Island of Real." Among the players listed were the
Woodstock Horns, ts - Charles Dinwiddie, as- David Sanborn and tp -
Steve Madio. The addition of Robert 'Pops' Popwell on bass along with
Feiten kicked the group into a MUCH higher gear than any of their top
40 songs. Other guests included Joe Farrell with a nice soprano sax
solo, Hubert Laws on flute, Marvin 'Manny' Stamm on flugelhorn, and
Annie Sutton and Molly Holt on backing vocals. The disc has been
remastered and rereleased on Sundazed.

Thanks Jeff. I'd forgotten all about the BBB connection. I haven't
heard East-West or Pigboy in years. I've got a cd of BBB (their 1st?)
with Bloomfield, Bishop and Sam Lay druming. I guess I'll have to
start digging for the other 2.

Biz @ WNMC  (feelin' funky.....uh HUH!)

This week's sponsor is: JazzWeek

IN THE FEB. 6 ISSUE: One of the true legends of the industry is EMI Jazz and
Classics president Bruce Lundvall. Tapped to preside over the resuscitation
of
Blue Note in the 1980's, Lundvall has been at the label's helm during three
decades of growth and success. This week, Lundvall sits down with music
editor
Tad Hendrickson for Part One of a two part Q&A, touching this week on
radio and recent signings at the label. In the news, Berklee celebrates its
60th with a gala concert that included some surprising get togethers; at
Jazz
at Lincoln Center, the Afro-Latin Jazz Orchestra is embarking on a tour and
jazz meets classical at Rose Hall; JAI announces the winners of its 'Jazz on
Campus' contest; and we catch you up around the industry with the latest
news
in brief. Reviews this week include the latest from venerable saxman David
"Fathead" Newman, organ trios from Tony Monaco and drummer André
Ceccarelli (with Joey DeFrancesco and Biréli Lagrène), singer Nicole
Pasternak, and the latest from Monk's Music Trio, this time with a pair of
trombonists along for the journey.