[JPL] New Orleans Jazz Festival

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 15 22:10:57 EST 2006

I'm witcha, Jae!   and Reebs has the right idea when she says just call
it the New Orleans Music Festival.  It's been a lot more than jazz for
a long time.

The Newport Jazz Festival experience years of adding more pop acts to
the main stage ended up in the riots at Newport that were very nearly
the death of the festival, literally!   This kind of programming
doesn't seem to build an audience for jazz - it's merely catering to
pop audiences who show little or only a passing interest in jazz.  They
won't be back next year unless the pop acts are back.  Same thing
happens with symphony programming ... symphony orchestras book pop acts
and attract large new audiences to their halls, but those audiences
don't come back for Mozart, Brahms and Rachmaninoff.  They only come
back for the pop acts.

However, in the past The NO Jazz Fests have kept a modern jazz stage
and a trad jazz stage going along with other stages devoted to blues,
zydeco, Gospel, African and pop acts.  The audience chooses their
favorite stages and hangs out there - they may not get to all of them.
  Jazz Fest (despite its popular name) serves an extremely wide
collection of music fans, and jazz is only a part of it.  However, if
you consider the origins of jazz in New Orleans as a mix of brass band
parade music, blues, spirituals, popular songs, remembrance of things
African, Latin ... Jazz Fest actually makes sense in this context.

Along the same lines, there's been a lot of discussion lately on this
list about loosening up and playing more pop oriented performers and
music in jazz shows in order to bring in younger audiences and broaden
the base of listeners to jazz stations.  But I truly believe most
listeners will prefer the stations that play the pop artists they want
to hear ALL the time!  Mixing real jazz and pop is probably going to
mess with most of both (potential) audiences.

How many pop stations you know mix in the latest Dave Douglas or Chris
Potter with their programming to make it more interesting and appealing
to their audience?  Hmmmmm?   How often have you heard Coltrane on a
country station?

I grant there may be a certain iPod Shuffle effect among some people
who really don't care what comes next as long as it's different from
what they're hearing now. There are a few stations that do that but
they tend to be small market stations and/ or their audiences tend to
be small.  I attempted mixing jazz, classical & some pop in the 70s on
a morning show at KING-FM.  But I think it'd be hard to make a case for
this building an audience for jazz ... except perhaps for dead artists
who are the ones who tend to be included in such mixes.  Newer jazz
styles seem to require more attention and a more engaged listener.
Have you ever noticed that most people who say they "like all kinds of
music" usually play it so softly it never intrudes on their attention?

Of course you can do mixed format style block programming which is
really just an extension of day-parting ... softer during daytime work
hours, heavier duty at night, more youthful energy late night.  That's
not a new idea, old line AM stations did that for years. All the late
night jazz shows that inspired me used to be on AM stations that never
played jazz at all during the daytime.  (probably 'cause it was too
edgy!)

Jim Wilke
Jazz After Hours, PRI
www.jazzafterhours.org