[JPL] New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival

Bouille, John JBouille at SHAWU.EDU
Thu Feb 16 14:45:10 EST 2006

	My sentiments exactly! The fact that you can go from the Jazz Tent featuring Terrance Blanchard, then quickly head over to check out Dr. John, swing by the Economy Tent for Don Vappie and the Creole Jazz Serenaders, stop by the OZ tent and grab some Maqngo Freeze, join a second line or Mardi Gras Indian band parading through the crowd and head over to the Heritage Stage for Hugh Masekela. Are you kidding me this is the BEST music festival hands down in the Universe. Who cares who they put on the bill to bring the masses, it's the Jazz and Heritage Festival and if you have not been , you have not experienced New Orleans. I know we are Jazz Programmers but we all like other music, right?

If you want to see the festival right, support WWOZ and by a brass-pass. You can come and go as you please each an every day. Not to mention your helping out WWOZ. So glad to see you all are up and running. www.wwoz.org

John Bouille
WSHA Program Director
118 East South Street
Raleigh, NC 27601
1-800-241-0421 ~ 919-546-8433

-----Original Message-----
From: jazzproglist-bounces at jazzweek.com
[mailto:jazzproglist-bounces at jazzweek.com]On Behalf Of
philipbooth at tampabay.rr.com
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 2:26 PM
To: Jazz Programmers Mailing List
Subject: [JPL] New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival

To become a sponsor contact Ed Trefzger
at ed.trefzger at jazzweek.com or 866-453-6401.

Reality check:

Every year, the Jazz Tent at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival
offers eight hours or so of good jazz for each of seven days (11 a.m.
to 7 p.m.) over the two weekends of fest. That's 56 hours, give or take
a few hours lost to set changes.

The festival also presents hours of performances by early/traditional
jazz bands in a venue that used to be called the Economy Hall tent. So
that could be another 56 hours or so.

In addition to that, brass bands (important to the development of jazz)
roam the infields and often get prominent billing on various stages --
Rebirth, Dirty Dozen.

So, conservatively speaking, there may be more than 100 hours of jazz
presented, and practically zilch in the way of "smooth" or fake jazz.

A long list of good modern jazz artists are playing this year's
festival, including Ellis Marsalis, Donald Harrison, Terence Blanchard,
Nicholas Payton, Steve Turre, George Coleman, Eddie Palmieri and Astral
Project.

Not enough jazz to include "jazz" as part of its name? The NO Jazz and
Heritage Festival offers more hours of good jazz than most festivals
that focus exclusively on jazz.

And consider this, from the NYT story: "The festival is the ultimate
musical benefit for a destitute city," Mr. Davis said.

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

> JAZZ???
>

> ARTS / MUSIC | February 16, 2006
> New Orleans Will Hold Jazzfest This Spring
> By BEN RATLIFF
> Contrary to organizers' initial fears in the months after
> Hurricane Katrina, the festival will be barely diminished,
> offering both big-name acts and even more local musicians.
> http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/16/arts/music/16jazz.html?
ex=1140757200&en=8b0733714320181c&ei=5070&emc=eta1