[JPL] Standing up for NOLA

Toulouse, Sarah stoulouse at chicagopublicradio.org
Fri Feb 17 06:23:04 EST 2006

I've avoided posting anything on this forum for years, but I have to echo the comments of others who do recognize the incredibly rich and wide ranging approach to the New Orleans Jazz and HERITAGE festival.  I think those who are caught up on the name are being short sighted and could not possibly be speaking from experience of having attended this important American event.  Jazz covers over 100 years of music, and has gone on to touch AND borrow from so many other genres.  You can hear it throughout the fairgrounds, no matter what stage you happen to shake your money maker at.

Several people from our station, ranging from news/talk to music staff, make the annual pilgrimage to Jazzfest.  We fight over who has to stay home and man the fort and whose turn it is to take vacation time and go!

To Judy Wood and WWOZ folks:  We support NOLA artists at Chicago Public Radio - specifically all this month we're featuring New Orleans music on all of our music programs for Mardi Gras.  Also, there are at least a dozen Mardi Gras fund-raising events for Katrina survivors, evacuees (we have many here) and musicians. Events are planned at several music, cultural and dining venues across Chicago.  Hope to see you all soon!

If you can't hear the connections between Albert Ammons, Pete Johnson, Art Tatum, Fats Domino, Professor Longhair, Dr. John and even Little Richard....check your ears.

oh great....now I'm craving red beans & rice at Quarter Grocery

Sarah Toulouse
Music Host/Producer
Chicago Public Radio
www.chicagopublicradio.org