[JPL] JzFmS4 WGBH Boston 2/17/06

Steve Schwartz steve_schwartz at wgbh.org
Sat Feb 18 00:11:04 EST 2006

Jazz From Studio Four
Friday, Feb 17, 8pm­midnight, WGBH 89.7

AFRICAN AMERICAN HISTORY MONTH
TOOTIN' THRU THE ROOF/ AN INFORMAL HISTORY OF THE TRUMPET

8:00pm
THEME: HORACE PARLAN QUINTET: Wadin', Speakin' My Piece (Blue Note)

8:05pm
Louis Armstrong: You Go To My Head, Let's Do It (Verve)
Dizzy Gillespie: I Cover the Waterfront, Plays in Paris (Vogue)
Wynton Marsalis: Donna Lee, Live at The House of Tribes (Blue Note)

8:24pm
Roy Hargrove: Yardbird Suite, Parker's Mood (Verve)
Donald Byrd: Down Tempo, Off to The Races (Blue note)
Art Farmer: Wisteria, Art Farmer and Jazz Giants (Prestige)
Clifford Brown: Sweet Clifford, Brown and Roach Inc (Emarcy)

8:47pm
Rex Stewart; with Duke Ellington: Morning Glory,
The Blanton-Webster Band (RCA Bluebird)
Tommy Turrentine: Gunga Din, Tommy Turrentine (Time/Bainbridge)
Lee Morgan: Candy, Candy` (Blue Note)

9:10pm
Ted Curson: East 6th Street, Tears for Dolphy (Black Lion)
Lester Bowie: Nessun Dorma, Odyssey of Funk & Popular Music (Atlantic)
Blue Mitchell: When I Fall in Love, Blue's Moods (Riverside)

9:30pm
Freddie Hubbard: Topsy, Topsy (Alfa Jazz)
Charlie Shavers: She's Funny That Way, Charlie shavers 1944-1945 (Classics)
Harry "Sweets" Edison: in A Mellow Tone,
There Will Never Be Another You (Nagel Heyer)
Christian Scott: Surreal Serenity, Christian Scott (Impromp2 Records)

9:53pm
Shorty Baker; Doc Cheatham: Good Queen Bess, Shorty & Doc (Prestige)

10:05pm
Miles Davis: Well, You Needn't, Miles Davis Volume 1 (Blue Note)
Joe Wilder: Mad About The Boy, Softly With Felling (Savoy)
Booker Little: Hazy Hues, Out Front (Candid)

10:26am
Sean Jones: The Serpent, Eternal Journey (MAck Avenue)
Terell Stafford: The Touch of Your Lips, New Beginnings (MaxJazz)
Terence Blanchard: Lady Sings The Blues,
The Billie Holiday songbook (Columbia)

10:48pm
Cootie Williams with Duke Ellington: Concerto For Cootie
(Do Nothin' til You Hear From Me ), The Blanton-Webster Band (RCA Bluebird)
Roy Eldridge: I Can't Get Started, After You've Gone (Decca/GRP)
Henry "Red" Allen: I Cover the Waterfront, World on A String (RCA Bluebird)

11:06pm
Howard McGhee: Arbee, Sharp Edge (Black Liuon)
Fats Navarro: Bouncing With Bud, The Complete Blue Note recordings
(Blue Note)
Benny Bailey: If you Could See Me Now, I Remember Love (Laika Records)

11:25pm
Eddie Henderson: Tender You, Echoes (Disques Futura et Marge)
Jeremy Pelt: Eddie's Story, Identity (MaxJazz)
Kenny Dorham: Old Folks, Quiet Kenny (Prestige)
Wallace Roney: I'll Keep Loving You, Mystikal (High Note)

11:50pm
Louis Armstrong: Let's Fall in Love, Let's Do It (Verve)