[JPL] A classic case in point

Bob Rogers rwsfin at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 1 20:46:30 EDT 2006

Jim,

I want to respond to your recent comment re: classical music and jazz
programming.

I occasionally play various selections from an EMI Classics cd of the Ahn
Trio that was released in 2000.  It consists of a piano, violin, cello trio
(the sisters) plus percussion on some cuts.  The composers include Astor
Piazzolla, Leonard Bernstein, Eric Ewazen and Henjji Bunch.  Hearing any cut
on the cd, most people likely would say, "That's classical music."

It is a fact that I get better phone reaction from playing this cd than just
about anything else.  I don't think it's because these people secretly
prefer "classical" music to jazz, but that the music really sounds good to
them and they, like me, don't give a damn whether it's considered jazz or
not.  It just sounds good to them and they want to let you know they
appreciate hearing it.  It's really that simple

Sometimes I think we get much more genre-obsessed than our listeners are.
It's also interesting to note that I've never gotten a call from the jazz
police telling me I'm under arrest for living outside the format.  And if I
did get those calls I wouln't worry because they don't have arrest powers
anyway.

Best regards,

Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers