[JPL] BIG Thanks

Linda Yohn lyohn at emich.edu
Sun Jul 2 14:30:07 EDT 2006

Hello all,

I know writing one's thank you notes weeks late is not very "humane".
I apologize for the tardiness of this message, but my time has been
even extra scarce lately.

I was flabbergasted and overwhelmed when my name was called out to
receive the Duke Dubois Humanitarian Award at this year's JazzWeek
conference.  I knew Duke, as many of you did, and I'm not sure that I
belong in the same category as Mr. Dubois.  He cared about jazz, jazz
education, jazz musicians and people.  He was a hero for all of us.

For me to be in the company of Tom Mallison, Dick LaPalm and Joe Fields
to receive this award is frankly, beyond belief.  I'm still reeling.

I'd like to encourage everyone to attend the JazzWeek meetings.  I read
the online disucssions about attracting younger listeners.  We dealt
one-on-one with these very issues at the meetings.  I treasure this
online forum (I don't post as much as I would like) but there is
something about being in the room together to gain from the collective
wisdom and to ask big questions.  So, please come next year, wherever
and whenever we meet.  We've heard about "doom & gloom" scenarios.  At
the JazzWeek summit, we learn from the survivors...the successful
stations and labels.

Again, thank you for the huge honor.

Keep swinging,

Linda