[JPL] This Week on "Listen Here! The Jazz Review"

Mark Ruffin mruffin at jazzusa.com
Wed Jul 5 01:52:42 EDT 2006

This week on Listen Here! The Public Radio Jazz Review at
www.listenhereradio.com vocalist and pianist Freddy Cole joins Neil Tesser
and Mark Ruffin to discuss his new record "Because Of You," a tribute to
Tony Bennett, and his own career, spent partially in the shadow of his older
brother Nat Cole.  In the last installment of "The Lost Horns," their series
on the brief careers of four brilliant trumpeters, Neil and Mark discuss the
stirring music and tragic life of Woody Shaw.  Mark reviews "Hank & Frank,"
the new recording by veterans Hank Jones & Frank Wess while Neil reviews
"Well Behaved Fish" from the Grismore/Scea group, a fun and intricate mix of
jazz and electronic styles.  And as a way to close "The Lost Horns," the
boys go head-to-head in competition to identify the music of Clifford Brown,
Lee Morgan, Freddie Hubbard and Woody Shaw on our listening quiz "For Your
Ears Only."

We invite programmers to check out Listen Here!   Now with 88 stations on
board, including our new affiliates, KUNV/Las Vegas and WWSP/Stevens Point,
it is the fastest growing jazz program on public radio, and it's FREE.  For
info call Terry Medina at WFMT Networks at 773-279-2114