[JPL] 2005 Twirlie Awards

Dick Crockett bopndick at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 7 04:04:53 EDT 2006

2005 TWIRLIE AWARDS:

BEST MAINSTREAM:

S.F. JAZZ COLLECTIVE      Nonesuch Records

BEST NON-MAINSTREAM:

MICHAEL GALASSO         HIGH LINES          ECM

BEST PIANO TRIO:

MARAN WASILEWSKI/ SLAWOMIR KURKOWICZ/ MICHAL MISKIEWCZ
TRIO    ECM

BEST COLLABORATION:

HAROLD ARLAN CENTENNIAL CELEBRATION 100      Concord
Records

BEST MALE VOCALIST:

KEVIN MAHOGANY and THE BIG BAND      WEA/ Mahogany
Jazz

BEST REMALE VOCALIST:

DIANNE REEVES   GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK     Concord
Records

BEST BIG BAND:

MINGUS                    I AM THREE
     Sunnyside Records

BEST TRUMPET:

WYNTON MARSALIS       LIVE AT THE HOUSE OF TRIBES
Blue Note

BEST SAXOPHONE:

RAVI COLTRANE               IN FLUX     Savoy Records

BEST FUNKENGROOVIN:

JOEY DeFRANCESCO WITH JIMMY SMITH     LEGACY
Concord Jazz

BEST GUITAR ENSEMBLE:

BUCKY PIZZARELLI and FRANK VIGNOLA      MOONGLOW
Hyena Records

BEST LATIN /WORLD MUSIC EMSEMBLE:

GUILLERMO  KLEIN       UNA NAVE     Sunnyside Records

EITHER /ORCHESTRA      LIVE IN ADDIS ABABA
ETHIOPIQUES
Buda Musique

Twirlies are a celebration of  subjectivity, cronyism,
partiality and par excellence in Jazz.

PS : It's really up to you to decide....”We're not the
only Deciders!”

Dick Crockett
“The Voice” 88.7fm
4623 T Street, Suite A