[JPL] PLAYLIST: "General Eclectic", WCVF-FM, 7/7/06

Tom Bingham mason2042 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 16:41:21 EDT 2006

Three-hour show this afternoon, to accomodate the Johnny Cash-narrated "We
the People" CD. It arrived during the middle of last week's show, too late
for inclusion on the last show before Independence day. But since its focus
is American History in general, rather than July 4 specifically, the album
seems just as relevant today.
  Phone calls today for Daniel Smith's jazz bassoon, Bruce Springsteen,
Jessica Williams, Jim Pearce (the latter both being jazz pianists), bluesmen
Bill Rhoades & the Party Kings, Mojo Stu, and Powder Blues (as I said last
week, we get a lot of calls for blues lately, but no new releases), Latin
jazzman Edward Simon, the electronics of Himiko, and the Scottish sounds of
harper Kim Robertson and fiddler Bonnie Rideout. To the list:

HOUR #1:
Johnny Cash Narrates "We the People" (complete, hour-long CD, incorporating
the following musical tracks:)
Limeliters - The Power and the Glory
Shaw Brothers - We the People
Johnny Cash - The Battle of New Orleans
Tarriers - Drill, Ye Tarriers, Drill
Johnny Cash - Remember the Alamo
Bob Gibson - Let the Band Play Dixie
Mickey Newbury - American Trilogy
Shaw Brothers - The Immigrant
Kingston Trio - The Sinking of the Reuben James
Johnny Cash - The Ballad of Ira Hayes
John Stewart - The Last Campaign
John Stewart - Armstrong
Shaw Brothers - The Day the Tall Ships Came
Shaw Brothers - Lady of the Harbor
Limeliters - America the Beautiful
Johnny Cash - The Ragged old Flag

HOUR #2:
Daniel Smith - Blue Monk - Bebop Bassoon

Deborah J. Carter - I Will/Here, There and Everywhere - Daytripper

Lynn Drury - Pretty As a Picture - All You Need

Bruce Springsteen - Jesse James - We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions

Jessica Williams - Blues For BT - Billy's Theme: A Tribute to Dr. Billy
Taylor

Jimmy Bruno  - Benny's Tune - Mel Bay Records Music Sampler, Vol. 2 (various
artists)

Michael Chain - Do You Want to Do It - CD single

Pat Dinizio - The End of the World - This Is Pat Dinizio

Jim Pearce - Tucker Samba - Prairie Dog Ballet

Sancto Ianne - E Boile d'a Malvizza - Folkclub Ethnosuoni 2006 Catalogue
(various)

John Moulder - Exodus - Trinity

Kysha 25 - Ahy Maria (featuring Los Van Van) - Farandoula

Bill Rhoades & the Party Kings - Now She's Gone - Voodoo Lovin'

HOUR #3:
Edward Simon - Colega - Edward Simon

Kim Robertson - Glenburnie Rant - Highland Heart

Lucy Allen & Marshall Goers - Tom Dooley - Just Passing Through

Himiko - Inhail Exhail - Incision

Sarah Hommel - It's Not Supposed to Be Any Way - A Sarah Hommel Drum All

Donnie Munro - A'Coiseachd Trath - Heart of America

Zukie Joseph - Rasta Go Round Dem - It's About Time Fe Real

Son Volt - Jet Pilot - Selections From the DVD: Son Volt Live: 6 String
Belief

Soma Sonic - Memories (original) - Sim-pli-ci-ty

Mojo Stu - Got a Love - Real House Blues

Bonnie Rideout - Pipe Major William Wilson - A Scottish Fiddle Collection

Powder Blues - Flip. Flop & Fly - Swingin' the Blues

Back of the Moon - Goodfellas - Luminosity

  Just posted a new entry to my book-review blog, Garth Cartwright's Princes
Amongst Men, a look at Balkan Gypsy Music. If names such as Taraf de
Haidouks and Kocani Orkestar start you to drooling, you've gotta read this
book.
See you next week.

--
Tom Bingham