[JPL] good career move

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 11 23:50:28 EDT 2006

Well, it's not exactly a first.  I was at a performance a few years ago
when a well-known pianist was playing a lesser-known venue (both shall
remain nameless to protect the hardly innocent!).   About midway
through a tune, the pianist abruptly stood up from the 5' baby grand
and announced,  "I'm sorry, I'm a pianist and this is not a piano.  See
(the owner) and he'll give you your money back." and left the stage.
- Man, talk about a real show-stopper!

More surprisingly, the pianist has since played for the same management
again, but now on a decent piano. (Probably would have settled for
6'10" Steinway B)

One has to have a certain amount of sympathy/empathy for touring
pianists who with rare exception play a different instrument nearly
every night and never know what they'll be dealing with until they get
to the gig. There are a few in the very top echelon who have been able
to tour with their own piano, or in the case of Steinway artists, have
specially prepared artists' pianos provided in major cities.

It's not always just the piano, though.  During a long series of live
radio shows from a local club we had Ahmad  Jamal, Gene Harris, Kenny
Barron, Hamp Hawes, Horace Silver, Wynton Kelly, Oscar Peterson and a
dozen other pianists play the same piano with good results. But when
Bill Evans sat down and played the first couple of chords and a run, my
head snapped around so fast I nearly knocked my headphones off.  It
sounded so rich I thought they'd put in a new piano since last week.
Nope.... just a new piano player.

Jim Wilke
Jazz After Hours, PRI
www.jazzafterhours.org