[JPL] good career move

MFT Jazz mft at mftjazz.com
Wed Jul 12 11:16:24 EDT 2006

Having worked as a concert producer for a half dozen years I can say
from personal experience that contract riders for jazz artists are
frequently vaguely written & subject to interpretation.
However, as a responsible presenter, I always obtained specific
clearance when offering anything other than what was called for in the
rider.  That included asking Dr. Billy Taylor if he would play our
Baldwin concert grand in place of the Steinway (he didn't) and asking
McCoy Tyner if his big band needed all those stage monitors (he didn't.)
No one likes nasty surprises on concert day!

--

*Russ Neff
/My Favorite Things/