[JPL] good career move

POWDERSPAM at aol.com POWDERSPAM at aol.com
Wed Jul 12 11:25:58 EDT 2006

In a message dated 7/12/2006 11:18:18 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
mft at mftjazz.com writes:

Having  worked as a concert producer for a half dozen years I can say
from  personal experience that contract riders for jazz artists are
frequently  vaguely written & subject to interpretation.
However, as a responsible  presenter, I always obtained specific
clearance when offering anything  other than what was called for in the
rider.  That included asking  Dr. Billy Taylor if he would play our
Baldwin concert grand in place of  the Steinway (he didn't) and asking
McCoy Tyner if his big band needed all  those stage monitors (he didn't.)
No one likes nasty surprises on concert  day!

Rider's are also frequently seen as extemporaneous self-indulgences the
artist is trying to get away with, like there must be 10 asparagus sandwiches  and
mineral water back stage, and other notorious examples. I've seen this
handled by taking out the ole black magic marker and crossing thru anything the
club doesn't want to consider, and sending it back signed. You'd think if the
Yamaha was so critical that he wouldn't play without it that there would have
been better arrangements made ahead of time aside from a rider clause.
-david