[JPL] good career move

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 12 12:20:21 EDT 2006

On Jul 12, 2006, at 8:06 AM, POWDERSPAM at aol.com wrote:

> he has nothing on glenn gould for pure gonzo attitude.
> -david

I think GG used to have his own piano shipped from venue to venue,
along with his favorite squeaky wooden folding chair.   He preceded
Keith Jarrett as the archtype groaner.   After I played one
particularly noticeable vocal-laced recording by GG on a classical
station I was moved to say "That was Glen Gould singing, and
accompanying himself at the piano, in the Bach Partita ...... "
Gould eventually quit playing public concerts saying it was an
archaic practice, and thereafter only made recordings.   As I recall,
he compared concerts to bullfighting - people only show up to see if
something goes horribly wrong!

You could write a book about pianists and "piano shaped objects" -
It would be a great mix of humor and agony.

Jim Wilke
Jazz After Hours, PRI
www.jazzafterhours.org