[JPL] More Gonzolo

Eric Jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Thu Jul 13 08:04:23 EDT 2006

As I mentioned I was one of the people who went to the Regatta on Friday and
found the club dark and quiet. The manager explained to me what happened.

I wanted to mention I have interviewed Gonzolo at least 4 times. He certainly
has interesting stories to tell. Each time I interviewed him, he had a
translator sit in on the interview with us. His English has improved quite a
bit over the years. The first time I interviewed him, it was obvious that he
understood at least some of what I said but the only time he didn't use the
translator at all is when I asked him about jazz in the Dominican Republic.
Gonzolo was living there at the time. He immediately responded, "Merengue
everywhere! Too much merengue!

The last time I interviewed him, he barely used the translator at all. At one
point, the translator and I just looked at each other quizzically. I'm sure
both of us were wondering why he needed a translator when he wasn't using her
at her. I'm sure it was simply a matter of confidence.

Eric Jackson
8 pm - mid Mon - Thurs
WGBH Boston
89.7 FM