[JPL] PLAYLIST: "General Eclectic," WCVF-FM, 7/14/06

Tom Bingham mason2042 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 16:37:01 EDT 2006

   I was recently named as one of the two faculty advisors to the
award-winning Fredonia Jazz Ensemble, along with my friend and colleague,
Bruce Johnstone (ex-Maynard Ferguson baritone saxist). Maybe that's why I've
become so conscious that there is a tremendous amount of really top-notch
big band music coming out these days, several on today's show alone. Of
these, the one which got the most listener response was Chris Walden's new
full-length with "Winter Games" and a number of other gems. The Trudy
Lynn/Calvin Owens CD arrived during the show and was immediately slapped on
the turntable without listening to it - sometimes a risky proposition, but
not this time. I trust Calvin Owens to come out with interesting material!
  Other calls came for Soetkin Collier (Belgian, I believe), Dr. Rage and
the Uppercuts (blues-rock version of a blues standard), Reza (Persian,
produced by John Densmore), Willie Hill (smooth jazz guitar), Yeshe (world
music from Australia, but with a Zimbabwean basis), Big Daddy "O" (excellent
blues covers with personalized arrangements), Mike MacArthur (great
tenor-and-organ remake of Turentine classic), Te Vaka (Polynesian delight
from New Zealand), Iron Horse (from the CD of bluegrass versions of Van
Halen songs; better than you'd expect), and Fergie MacDonald (Scottish ceili
music). To the list:

HOUR #1:
Soetkin Collier - Speelman - homeredords.be, volume one (various artists)

Nancy Osborne - Ding Dong the Witch Is Dead - Hot Swing, Cool Jazz

Curtis & Loretta - Just My Heart - Just My Heart For You

Dr. Rage and the Uppercuts - Good Mornin' 'Lil' Schoolgirl - Hittin' Wood
and Diamond Hard

Reza - Zhaleb - Ray of the Wine

Willie Hill - Dancing Feet - Natural Evolution

Yeshe - Dande - World Citizen

Big Daddy "O" - St. Louis Blues - Deranged Covers

Woody Guthrie - 1913 Massacre - Classic Labor Songs (various)

Emily Smith - Strong Winds for Autumn - A Different Life

Paul Cacia Jazz Orchestra - Overtime - Legacy: The Last Sessions

German Bense Bossa Nova Quartet - Samba Pra Um Mundo Melhor - Love Song in
Vain

HOUR #2:
Mike MacArthur - Sugar - That's What I'm Talkin' 'Bout

Te Vaka - Tauale Mataku - Tutuki

Chris Walden Big Band - When You Wish Upon A Star - No Bounds

David Wilcox - Vista - Vista

Iron Horse - Unchained - Strummin' With the Devil: the Southern Side of Van
Halen (various)

Kohala - Deeper Blue - Deeper Blue

Fergie MacDonald - Pan/Celtic Jigs - Scotland: The Music & the Song
(various)

Olga - Stealin' - Now is the Time

Jah Thomas & Friends - Big Dance a Keep - Big Dance a Keep

Caroline Doctorow - Will If You Want Me To - Follow You Down

Gerry Gibbs & the Thrasher Big Band - You've Changed - Live at Luna

Mission Street Project - When the War Is Won - CD single

Trudy Lynn with the Calvin Owens Blues Orchestra - Swing Boogie - I'm Still
Here

Tom Bingham
"General Eclectic"
WCVF-FM