[JPL] Quincy Jones Wins Lifetime Achievement At Jazz Awards

Dr. Jazz drjazz at drjazz.com
Fri Jul 14 21:45:17 EDT 2006

Quincy Jones Wins Lifetime Achievement At Jazz Awards

July 14, 2006 11:35 a.m. EST

Shaveta Bansal - All Headline News Staff Writer

London, UK (AHN) - Music legend Quincy Jones was honored with a lifetime
achievement award at the sixth annual BBC Jazz Awards in London Thursday.
The broadcaster Jools Holland was also among others honored at the event.

Producer Jones, who has a record 76 Grammy nominations (of which he won
26), was hailed "genius" at the show.

While presenting the award for Jones' six-decade career, close pal Sir
Michael Caine said, "I can't tell you how much I love and admire this man."

The spirited Quincy, danced on stage as he accepted the honor before
predicting, "The great names of jazz will one day be mentioned alongside
Beethoven, Bach and Mozart."

The 73-year-old performer said, "I don't regret one inch of my career."

He later wowed the audience by conducting the BBC Jazz Awards Band during a
medley of his hits including Fly me to the Moon.

The British TV presenter Jools Holland was named Radio 2 jazz artist of the
year. Holland also played at the London's Mermaid Theater.

Clare Teal was named best vocalist at the ceremony hosted by Paul Gambaccini.

The 73-year-old started out as a trumpeter in the 1950s, arranging and
working with artists including Ray Charles, Count Basie, Duke Ellington and
Dizzy Gillespie.

He also produced Michael Jackson's global hit albums "Off the Wall" and
"Thriller," and has also carried out the role for other popular performers
including Frank Sinatra, Aretha Franklin, Donna Summer and Bono.

In 1985, he produced the US number one charity single "We Are The World."
He has composed music for numerous films including In the Heat of the
Night, The Color Purple and the Austin Powers movies.

Other 2006 BBC Jazz Awards winners included, Best of jazz award - Anita
Wardell, Best band - Dennis Rollins' Badbone & Co, Jazz on 3 innovation
award - Tim Garland's Lighthouse Project, Album of the year - The Lyric, by
Jim Tomlinson featuring Stacey Kent, Rising star - Andrew McCormack and
Best instrumentalist - Alan Barnes.

Dr. Jazz
Dr. Jazz Operations
24270 Eastwood