[JPL] oscar brown jr film

donnie l. betts dlbetts at nocredits.com
Sun Jul 16 14:16:44 EDT 2006

donnie l. betts

No Credits Productions, LLC

11986 E. Cornell Cir

Aurora, CO  80014

 <mailto:dlbetts at nocredits.com> dlbetts at nocredits.com

720-748-1388 (office)

720-318-9895 (cell)

720-748-1387 (fax)

www.nocredits.com

www.musicismylife.info

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Life of Legendary Singer/Playwright/Poet is Chronicled in Award-winning
Feature Film,

MUSIC IS MY LIFE, POLITICS MY MISTRESS:  THE STORY OF OSCAR BROWN, JR.

-Being Screened at the Coolidge Corner Theatre 290 Harvard St. Brookline,
MA.  August 4-10 call-617/734/2501  <http://www.coolidge.org/>
www.coolidge.org  <http://www.musicismylife.info/> www.musicismylife.info  :
Director donnie l. betts in person. August 4 & 5

Music is My Life, Politics My Mistress: The Story of Oscar Brown Jr., is a
rich, intimate look at a renaissance man - musician, writer, poet,
playwright and civil rights activist.  The Chicago native is credited with
writing over one thousand songs, a dozen musical plays and engaged in a rare
brand of social activism.  The film examines Brown's life from his
professional debut at age 15 to his last performance with daughter Maggie
Brown at the prestigious Pan African Film Festival in Los Angeles. It will
be screened at the Coolidge Corner Movie Theatre call 617-734-2501 for times

The film has been showcased as official selections at 19 film festivals,
winning 'Best Documentary' at 4 festivals, 4 Audience Choice Awards and
being named "The Most Culturally Significant Documentary" at Sidewalk Moving
Pictures. The film's producer and director, donnie l. betts (lower
intentional), says the latter honor is a solid reflection of Brown. "Social
activism was an integral part of his character. OBJ always said 'an artist
has a social responsibility to the community to educate as well as
entertain.it's about the people, not about the money.'  That philosophy
influenced my artistic life and led me to create this film.  The motto of my
company (No Credits Productions) is to 'Entertain, Educate and Elevate'
while the mission statement is 'to give a voice to the voiceless and a face
to the faceless."

In recent years, Brown won a new following with his recurring role as a jazz
musician on the former sitcom "Roc".  He was also a regular on "Russell
Simmons' Def Poetry Jam". In 1990 he was in the cast of the TV miniseries
"The Women of Brewster Place" that starred Oprah Winfrey.

Along with the music of Oscar Brown Jr., the film features an all-star cast
including; Jean Pace Brown, Nichelle Nichols, Al Jarreau, Abbey Lincoln,
Amiri Baraka, the late Vernon Jarrett, Charles Weldon, Lu Vason and Studs
Terkel.

Film clips can be viewed at www.musicismylife.info
<http://www.musicismylife.info/>  and www.nocredits.com
<http://www.nocredits.com/> .  For more information, contact No Credits
Productions at 720-318-9895, 720-748-1388 or dlbetts at nocredits.com.
Information on the Coolidge Corner Movie Theatre call 617 734 2501 or
www.coolidge.org.

"An often funny, witty documentary." Bob Longino, Atlanta Journal
Constitution

".a riveting documentary." The Chicago Sun-Times

"Oscar worthy." Westword