[JPL] Re: The Graying of the Record Store

Arturo arturo893 at qwest.net
Mon Jul 17 16:27:31 EDT 2006

Thanks to Russell Haines for posting the link to a wonderful article that
had me nostalgic and close to tears :<(

Every since I was 12 or 13 years old in the mid-60's, visiting my local
record shops every 2-3 weeks was a habit I have that endures to this day. I
used to save 75 cents every 2-3 weeks in order to purchase one 45rpm, then
once I began working after school as a 16 year old I had enough to buy an LP
or 2 every few weeks. As the write-up indicates, visiting a records store
was more than just wanting to buy you latest favorite, it was about gazing
at the artwork of the LPs, reading the liners, checking out the great covers
like Sgt Peppers, Satanic Majesty Request, New Riders of the Purple Sage,
Lotus Blossom, Big Bamboo, Sticky Fingers, how many lions on Santana's 1st?
comparing the songs and artwork between domestic albums and imports, Last
Days of the Fillmore box, Bangladash box, the latest James Brown etc etc
For me I had double exposure, as every few months I'd venture to one of the
few shops of Greater LA that carried Cuban dance music and or salsa records
to snuff my Latin record jones.

I can not relay how much I learned about music, how much my music listening
was enriched by going to records shops on a regular basis. I heard music
in-house I may not have ever encountered. Moreover, the accessories was part
of the ritual as well, magazines, posters(black lite & non), concert flyers,
free press, rally posters and more. Even as a married man with family
obligations, record shop visits was a necessary element of my life style.

The story is correct because I too have noticed that there is a sharp
decline in younger buyers of the record shops. I see many young dee jays
digging in the crates but other than the turntable dj's, younger demos are
not seen as much anymore looking for the latest CDs, they don't know what
they are missing.

Arturo