[JPL] Soccer Has Defenders, Jazz Has `Compers'

Susanblevin at aol.com Susanblevin at aol.com
Tue Jul 18 11:36:26 EDT 2006

In a message dated 7/18/2006 8:11:59 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
Bobby.Jackson at ideastream.org writes:

Zwerin  wrote and Sonny allegedly said,

"The importance Rollins gave to good  comping can be illustrated by the
fact that Hall is white. It is reasonable  to assume that any white
musicians hired to accompany top-quality  African-American improvisers
are the best around."

Sorry Michael  Zwerin and Sonny.  I'm lost on the significance that
because Hall is  white makes him best to accompany top quality
African-American  improvisors.

Bobby Jackson
WCPN-FM/Cleveland,  OH

I'm lost with you Bobby.  I'm lost on the significance that because  Hall is
white and Rollins chose him he must be among the best around.  I  would agree
Rollins would choose someone among the best around.  What does  white have to
do with it?  Is the writer assuming an African-American  improviser would
choose someone African-American unless someone white were  "better"?  That would
lose me too.

Susan B. Levin