[JPL] Cannonball & Zawinul...

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 19 13:07:16 EDT 2006

I did a live broadcast of a club date with Cannonball's Quintet with
Joe on piano playing "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" before the record came out
in 1966.  The crowd was cheering, and I knew immediately it was another
soul jazz hit for Cannon...  Never mind it was written by a
conservatory-trained Austrian, the band's playing and the crowd
reaction was not analytical or critical of the composer's nationality
or ethnic origins. They were just clappin' and hip shakin' and shoulder
waggin'. The tune and the band had the groove and the feel was just as
genuine as a tune by Bobby Timmons or Nat, wasn't it?   When the record
came out it even got "AM Radio Play", which was what we called
crossover hits from jazz to pop music in that era.

I don't remember this topic being an issue then except in some isolated
instances, like Red Rodney touring the South with Bird as "Albino Red"
in the 50s.  I wonder why it comes up now?

Jim Wilke
Jazz After Hours, PRI
www.jazzafterhours.org