[JPL] George Russell

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Thu Jul 20 08:26:38 EDT 2006

Perhaps some of you were in attendance for George Russell's concert at IAJE
in 2003 in New York City.
He was 80 that year, but still conducting like a youngster.  How vividly I
recall his tall, thin frame moving in time to the music.

Among his landmark compositions is "A Bird in Igor's Yard," which Buddy
DeFranco's Orchestra recorded for Capitol in 1949.  Sheila Jordan made her
recording debut singing his arresting arrangement of "You Are My Sunshine"
on the Riverside release "The Outer View."

Tom Reney