[JPL] Geo Russell

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Thu Jul 20 08:46:11 EDT 2006

I'm sure I wasn't alone in doing a double take when I saw the names John Coltrane and Doc Severinsen listed among the personnel on the reissue of George Russell's New York, New York/Jazz in the Space Age back in the early '70s. I ran into Doc in the Hilton lobby at IAJE last January and asked him about the date.  He said he and Trane were the only sidmen who didn't take a dinner break; Trane because he was so committed to getting George's music right, Doc because he didn't have the bread for dinner.

Tom Reney
"Jazz à la Mode"
Monday-Thursday, 8 p.m.-Midnight

WFCR 88.5 FM