[JPL] Cannonball & Zawinul...

Richard Paske rpaske at bitstream.net
Thu Jul 20 12:05:57 EDT 2006

I don't know the answer to this question, but I do know why Joe left
Cannon's band after nine years, a story he related to me when I interviewed
him for Notes from the Western Edge  ( http://freshearsmedia.com ). Joe had
composed In a Silent Way on a particularly memorable trip to Vienna with his
family - he called it the happiest time of his life. When he returned to New
York he was hanging out at Miles' house and was running through his new
composition on Miles' little piano. After running through the tune a few
times he noticed that Miles was standing off to the side listening intently.
When Joe stopped playing, Miles told him how much he liked the tune, to
which Joe replied, "it's yours."

At the next Cannon rehearsal, Joe was running through Silent Way again,
which didn't have a title yet. Nat said that it reminded him of a silent
way, thus titling the tune. He also said that he wanted to record it. When
Joe told him that the tune was already promised to Miles, the proverbial
stuff hit the fan and Joe's tenure with the band was over.

Richard Paske
Executive Producer/Host
Notes from the Western edge