[JPL] Boston Globe article on "sm**th jazz"

Ed Trefzger ed at trefzgermedia.com
Thu Jul 20 17:23:36 EDT 2006

On Jul 20, 2006, at 5:09 PM, Arturo wrote:

> Love it or hate it, smooth jazz is here to stay
>
> By Sarah Rodman, BOSTON GLOBE
> Inside Bay Area
>
> CALL HIM POP. Call him jazz. Call him, if you must, a smooth
> operator. But whatever you do, don't call the music that trumpeter
> Chris Botti makes smooth jazz.
> "We're not smooth jazz," Botti says, curtly.

Talk about a can of worms.

The term "smooth jazz" has been an unfortunate one in many ways.
Botti is right, I think, when he draws parallels to Chet Baker in his
recent recording, yet his categorization as a "smooth" artist hurt
his attention on jazz radio.

Many folks who disparage smooth jazz might find it benign if it were
called "instrumental pop" for example.

Ed