[JPL] R:' Sm**th jazz

Arturo arturo893 at qwest.net
Thu Jul 20 19:28:33 EDT 2006

Ed wrote <<< The term "smooth jazz" has been an unfortunate one in many
ways. Many folks who disparage smooth jazz might find it benign if it were
called "instrumental pop" for example. >>>

Eric wrote <<  I did tell her that I objected to the name smooth jazz. I
said that I thought
much of the music is much more related to r&b and pop music than to jazz.

That's it in a nutshell gents. I have never had anything against the music
played on the so-called smooth formats, neither in its original form or in
its changing styles since its inception. My dislike is for the term as IMO
it's detrimental to jazz, it has been a most succesful marketing term but it
has caused confusion as to what is jazz and what is not. I always have been
adamant in my opposition to the format name. It is instrumental adult music,
I wouldn't use RnB because the music lacks the blues element and needs more
rhythm.

In our market the smooth station was sold by Clear Channel as it stopped
being as profitable as before, their numbers are down and they have lowered
their spots rates. They are a "diver" station and KUVO is a "cruiser", the
new descriptions used by various studies about stations and their audiences
numbers.

Arturo Gómez
Music Director, jazz89KUVO
The Oasis In The City