[JPL] Boston Globe article on "sm**th jazz"

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 20 20:37:47 EDT 2006

When I'm introduced to someone as "a jazz dj"  I'm often asked if I
play "smooth jazz" (probably the only kind they've come in contact
with).   I usually reply "No, I play lumpy jazz."

I don't know if they understand that or if it baffles them, but no one
asks for clarification!

BTW - Chris Botti's the real thing. My impression on seeing him in a
jazz club is that he can play, he respects his sidemen who are top
level pros he shares the spotlight with, and he knows the difference
between the genres, and knows the audience he's playing for at the
moment.   If he's marketable on both sides of the fence, why not?

I did think the obvious marketing spin-off of Chet Baker seemed
unfortunate.  It might have turned off some who knew who Chet Baker
was, but he's not a Chet Baker clone.  I think he has too much respect
for his predecessors to imitate anyone.  Actually, when I've heard him
he comes closer to Miles' muted sound in the late 50s.

Jim Wilke