[JPL] Phat Band/Bruce Hornsby

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 26 17:30:22 EDT 2006

There aren't many great big bands playing today - my opinion - but the few I would put in that top five category would be Maria Schneider, John La Barbara, Chris Walden, Clayton Hamilton and Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band. Not necessarily in that order. There are a few others but these rank highest in my book. The new Phat Band release is fantastic! For II V arranging concepts they are definitely bringing something different to the table.

  Interesting side note......Bruce Hornsby actually recorded with Jack DeJohnette and Chris McBride recently - to make his "jazz" trio CD. Yep, it's true. I've known him for many years....as far back as the 70's when we were both playing the local club circuit. I know he has a deep passion for jazz and played it for many years. Now since his success in pop music circles I'm not sure how much he's dealt with jazz but I talked with him about his concepts before he recorded and for sure it is a jazz trio recording. I know "Giant Steps" (his arrangement) will be on it so there is a very different level of musicality from him that many have never heard. It will be released down the road....fall or spring maybe but it should be one of the most anticipated jazz releases to come out in a long time. If not for anything else but curiousity sake.

  Jae Sinnett
  WHRV FM
Norfolk VA