[JPL] JzFmS4 WGBH Boston 7/28

Steve Schwartz steve_schwartz at wgbh.org
Fri Jul 28 23:59:30 EDT 2006

JAZZ FROM STUDIO FOUR
Friday, July 28, 8pm­midnight, WGBH 89.7

54th DOWNBEAT ANNUAL CRITICS POLL REVIEW

8:00pm
THEME: Horace Parlan Quintet: Wadin', Speakin' My Piece (Blue Note)

8:05pm
Jackie McLean: For Hofsa, Rhythm of The Earth (Antilles)
Jackie McLean; Mal Waldron: God Bless the Child, Left Alone '86 (Evidence)
Jackie McLean: Greasy, New Soil (Blue Note)

8:24pm
James Moody: A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square,
Young At Heart (Warner Brothers)
Keith Jarrett: It's All in The Game, The Out-of-Towners (ECM)
Jason Moran: Twelve, Facing Left (Blue Note)

8:45pm
Dee Dee Bridgewater: My Ship, This Is New (Verve)
Dianne Reeves: You Taught My Heart How To Sing,
The Best of Dianne Reeves (Blue Note)
Cassandra Wilson: Throw it Away, Glamoured (Blue Note)

9:04pm
Sonny Rollins: A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square,
Without A Song The 9/11 Concert (Milestone)

9:20pm
Andrew Hill: Malachi, Time Lines (Blue Note)
Wayne Shorter: Adventures Aboard the Golden Mean,
Beyond the Sound Barrier (Verve)
Ray Barretto: Go, Portraits in Jazz and Clave (RCA Victor/BMG)

9:44pm
Stefon Harris; Jacky Terrasson: Body and Soul, Kindred (Blue Note)
Jeremy Pelt: Eddie's Story, Identity (MaxJazz)

10:07pm
Dave Douglas; Martial Solal: All The Things You Areo,
Rue de Seine (CAM Jazz)
Dave Douglas: Blues to Steve Lacy, Meaning and Mystery (Greenleaf Music)
Ravi Coltrane: United, In FLux (Savoy)

10:31pm
Kurt Elling: The Very Thught of You, This Time it's Love (Blue Note)
Mark Murphy: I'm Through With Love, Once To Every Heart (Verve)
Andy Bey: With A Song in My Heart, Chillin' with andy bey (Minor Music)

10:52pm
SF Jazz Collective; featuring Bobby Hutcherson: Naima,
SF Jazz Collective 2 (Nonesuch)
Miguel Zenon: Marianda, Jibaro (Marsalis Music)
Phil Woods: My Old Flame, Unheard Herd (Jazzed Media)

11:13pm
Maria Schneider: Lately, Days of Wine and Roses (ArtistShare)
Toots Thielemans: That Old Black Magic, One More For The Road (Verve)
Thelonious Monk; John Coltrane: Monk's Mood, At Carnegie Hall (Blue Note)

11:38pm
Steven Bernstein: Cry Baby Cry, Millennial Territory Orchestra (Sunnyside)
Steve Turre: Stepping Into Beauty, the Spirits Up Above (HighNote)

11:50pm
Bill Frisell: The Days of Wine and Roses, East/West (Nonesuch)