[JPL] Disturbing news

Giz Bowe girard.bowe at verizon.net
Sat Jul 29 11:50:56 EDT 2006

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/29/arts/music/29ring.html?_r=1&ref=arts&oref=slogin

In this article, it's mentioned that the RIAA domestic sales figures for
jazz dropped to 1.8% last year, down from a measly 3.5%, which seems to
have been constant for almost 10 years.

What I don't understand is how the big box retailers & "music" specialty
stores can hype the worst types of music without complaint. I don't
automatically believe all hip-hop is bad or non-music by definition, but
some of it is extremely anti-social, or at best, unbelievably rude.
Unfortunately, our music is becoming increasingly marginalized - a sad
commentary on the state of the arts in America (who needs music in schools,
anymore, anyway?!).

Oh well . . . show your support for jazz and download a BlueNote ringtone.

Giz Bowe
Jazz Director
WRIR-LP 97.3 FM
PO Box 4787