[JPL] Disturbing news

POWDERSPAM at aol.com POWDERSPAM at aol.com
Sat Jul 29 13:15:53 EDT 2006

In a message dated 7/29/2006 11:52:22 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
girard.bowe at verizon.net writes:

<<In this article, it's mentioned that the RIAA domestic sales  figures for
jazz dropped to 1.8% last year, down from a measly 3.5%, which  seems to
have been constant for almost 10 years.
What I don't  understand is how the big box retailers & "music" specialty
stores can  hype the worst types of music without complaint. I don't
automatically  believe all hip-hop is bad or non-music by definition, but
some of it is  extremely anti-social, or at best, unbelievably rude.
Unfortunately, our  music is becoming increasingly marginalized - a sad
commentary on the  state of the arts in America (who needs music in schools,
anymore,  anyway?!).>>

it's supply and demand. the masses want artists like 50 cent and Jessica
Simpson. but music choices and purchases are also very splintered now, which is
a good thing, and jazz can have a very significant part of that. that means
educating people, and also opening up our own hearts, minds and ears to living
jazz musicians because those are the people who can tour, and make public
appearances, and really drive the format. we need the education part to spread
the word about jazz's general beauty and importance, and we also need the new
music because as great as miles was, he's not touring again. touring, web
interactiveness, interviews, and other appearances like high school &  college
performances and workshops help build that crucial community of  listeners that
goes beyond the music. it becomes a lifestyle and then you're  hooked for
good.
-david