[JPL] jazz vital signs

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Sun Jul 30 20:11:36 EDT 2006

Re: Jazz Festivals:

I'd suggest that they appear to do well, and are so many in number, because they attract heavy corporate, civic, philanthropic, and governmental subsidies.  They're good for the communities that host them, have cultural cache, offer recreational family fun, and provide these same sponsoring/subsidizing entities a snappy page in their multi-cultural, diversity portfolios.  In other words, I wouldn't base an argument on the commercial vitality of jazz, nor deny the precarious position that it clings to in the popular culture and on the radio dial, on the numbers of festivals here or abroad.  I wonder how many jazz festivals would survive if the subsidies dried up?

I hosted the Litchfield Jazz Festival for eight years.  One telling thing I can offer this dialogue based on that experience is that CD vendors complained that festival-goers didn't buy CD's.

Tom Reney
"Jazz à la Mode"
Monday-Thursday, 8 p.m.-Midnight

WFCR 88.5 FM