[JPL] Re: A Jazz Rock Fan Speaks Out

Andy Cook ajcook68 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 31 08:44:40 EDT 2006

Very well said.  I am with you all the way on this one. I was introduced to jazz by listening to Dizzy Gillespie, Art Blakey, and Eric Dolphy, just to name a few.  I am a bebop / hard-bop head to the core.  However, I also love playing a lot of jazz/rock artists you have listed.

  Weather Report, Don Ellis, Pat Metheny, and The Crusaders are just as important musically to me as Dizzy, Art, and Coltrane. One of my favorite CD's of the past year is Adam Holzman's Jazz Rocket Science. I am also big fan of what MM&W, John Scofield, and Joshua Redman's Elastic Band are doing as well.  Our show emphasizes new music, acoustic and electric, we cover a wide spectrum of jazz considering the show airs only for 6 hours on Sundays.  I have always asked, were jazz dj's in the 60's only playing jazz of the 20's, 30's, 40's? No, they were playing the artists of the day, Coltrane, Dolphy, Miles, Ornette etc.  We need to respect the present, as much as the past, and that includes jazz/rock/fusion, because it is just as important to the history of jazz as the bebop revolution was to swing in the 30's and 40s.

  Andy Cook
  Jazz Brunch
  WFNX Boston