[JPL] the jazz-rock-fusion thing

David Golden davidgolden99 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 31 09:55:33 EDT 2006

There's a lot to take in on this thread, so I'll just put out a few points.

I grew up with "fusion" and do include some in my programs. Some of the jam bands really tend toward the old-style fusion that has long since been abandoned for "smooth jazz." Garaj Mahal comes to mind as the big daddy of the movement, but other bands also play in that groove.

Virtuoso playing and improvised sections are the hallmark of jazz, whether it's straight-ahead, Afro-Cuban, or Brazilian style, or if it has a rock or funk groove. I'm as happy listening to String Cheese Incident playing Birdland as I am listening to Jaco Pastorius & Birelli Lagrene, or the Jaco-Metheny-Moses trio, or Oscar Peterson with Ray Brown & NHOP.

WPKN is 100% listener supported, and I suspect we'd go broke if we were 100% jazz. We don't block format. The jazz programmers are serious about what they do, and there are other programmers who play jazz along with other styles of music that they like. One advantage to a format like ours is the cross-pollination that wouldn't occur if we block programmed or positioned ourselves as a Museum of Jazz. Jazz does not exist in a vacuum, and neither does my program, or anything else on WPKN.

David Golden, "Morning Maniac Music"
Press & Publicity Coordinator
WPKN 89.5 FM Bridgeport, CT
http://www.wpkn.org/dave