[JPL] NEW YORK STATE SAYS YES! FOR JAZZ

Nicole Pasternak nicolep at goldnfishmarketing.com
Mon Jul 31 16:51:35 EDT 2006

Reading your spirited list, talk up and down about jazz. Now this, just
in from Local 802 AFofM.

Thanks,

Nicole Pasternak

From: <ehayes at local802afm.org>

Subject: NEW YORK STATE SAYS YES! FOR JAZZ

Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 15:33:15 -0400

On Thursday, July 27, 2006 Governor George Pataki signed legislation
eliminating the sales tax on admission to live performances in Jazz
Clubs.

Admission to such performances will now be treated the same as admission
to theatre, opera, ballet and concert performances, the tax on which was
eliminated in the 1960's.

The legislation was passed after a two-year effort by Local 802 and the
Local 802 Jazz Advisory Committee. It was supported by the major Jazz
Clubs both in New York City and Upstate New York. Since the 1960's a
portion of the former tax money from admission to Broadway Theatres has
been used for musicians' pension benefits. In the coming months we will
work with the club owners and seek to accomplish the same thing for New
York's Jazz artists.

The success of this legislative effort represents the first time in
recent memory that the NYS government has recognized Jazz performances
in our city's smaller venues as an important part of the cultural and
economic life of our city and state.  They are properly affording this
art form the same status as theatre, opera, ballet and concert hall
performances.

We want to thank Assemblyman Herman "Denny" Farrell Jr. (D-Manhattan)
and State Senator George Maziarz (R- Buffalo) who introduced the
legislation and saw it through the legislative process.  We also extend
a special thanks to Hank Jones, Jimmy Owens, Slide Hampton, Skip Jackson
and Tony Jefferson who performed what may have been the first ever Jazz
concert in the halls of the NYS legislature in support of the
legislation. If anything convinced our elected officials that live Jazz
deserved their support, it was that performance.

For musicians who regularly work in the clubs and are already vested in
the American Federation of Musicians & Employers Pension Fund,
contributions to the fund from this club work can mean a substantial
increase in pension benefits. For those who are not vested, the
contributions will help insure that vesting is achieved. (If you are not
certain of your vesting status or have questions about the Fund, please
don't hesitate to call us.)

We believe this tax relief legislation is a win for jazz musicians, for
the clubs and for jazz fans.  As we work towards an agreement that will
allow the funds to be utilized for musicians' benefits we will need your
continued support. We will keep in touch as we work through this
process.

Sincerely,

Bill Dennison,, Recording Vice President Bob Cranshaw and Essie Hayes,
Jazz Representatives