[JPL] Jazz Port Townsend

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Mon Jul 31 18:16:18 EDT 2006

Jazz looked like a pretty happenin' thing last weekend --- we had a
great weekend at Jazz Port Townsend.  There were near capacity
audiences filling the 1200 seat McCurdy Pavilion for the mainstage
concerts, and crowds literally overflowing up to ten small clubs Friday
and Saturday nights. There was a crowd on the sidewalk looking in at
every location.  I arrived on Thursday and recorded a sextet fronted by
Ingrid Jensen, Steve Wilson and Bruce Forman at The Public House that
night.

Friday evening mainstage concerts featured the Jeff Hamilton Trio and
Poncho Sanchez Latin Jazz Band, and we also recorded the Bill
Ramsay/Pete Christlieb septet playing downtown later that night.

Saturday's matinee concert included NEA Jazz Master Buddy DeFranco,
newcomer Sara Gazarek and the Festival All Star Big Band led by John
Clayton, and that evening, Benny Green and 3 singers: Dee Daniels, Kurt
Elling and Nancy King,  followed by Australian trumpet and trombone ace
James Morrison, who's also a very funny guy.  We also recorded the
Steve Wilson Quartet with Bill Mays on piano at the Uptown Tavern that
night after the mainstage concerts.

In all, we have ten Jazz Port Townsend concerts in the can for upcoming
Jazz Northwest shows on KPLU.  Returning to Seattle tired but happy on
Sunday, there was one more we just couldn't resist.  French horn player
Tom Varner moved here from NYC recently and formed a new Seattle
quintet which debuted at Tula's Sunday evening, so we just had to pick
that one up, too!   Lots of great material coming up, starting with
Ingrid Jensen, Steve Wilson and Bruce Forman next Sunday, August 6 on
Jazz Northwest at 1 pm PDT on 88.5 KPLU and www.kplu.org

Jim Wilke
Jazz Northwest, KPLU
Jazz After Hours, PRI