[JPL] Re: What is the highlight of your record collecion?

Andy Cook ajcook68 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 2 09:53:20 EST 2006

The highlight of my record collection are 40 Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers records, that include such out of print titles as Buttercorn Lady (1966, Limelight, w/ Chuck Mangione, Keith Jarrett), Golden Boy (1964, Colprix),  In Walked Sonny (1975, Sonet w/ Sonny Stitt), Backgammon and Gypsy Folk Tales (1976/77, Roulette Birdland Series), although I believe Buttercorn Lady is now available through download only on the Verve Music Group website.

I also have a great Don Ellis Orchestra album on Columbia from the late 60's called "Autumn," that has Don Ellis' Variations For Trumpet, and the live version of "Indian Lady" that features John Klemmer on Tenor Sax, and a live version of "K.C. Blues" that has a great solo by Frank Strozier on Alto Sax.  This record is still not available on CD yet.

Andy Cook
WFNX 1017.FM
Jazz Brunch w/ Jeff Turton