[JPL] JzFmS4, WGBH, Boston 11/3/2006

Steve Schwartz steve_schwartz at wgbh.org
Fri Nov 3 23:53:39 EST 2006

Just to let you know that I'm not the only one:
On Phil's birthday I heard Alisa Clancy on KCSM in San Mateo, CA. playing
some Phil Woods. Tom Reney at WFCR in Amherst, MA. featured his music for 4
hours also. I'm sure many others got some Phil on the radio. Did you?

Jazz From Studio Four
Friday, Nov 3, 8pm­midnight, WGBH 89.7

SPECIAL FEATURE: PHIL WOODS (b. Springfield, MA., November 2, 1931)

8:00pm
THEME: Horace Parlan Quintet: Wadin', Speakin' My Piece (Blue Note)

8:05am
Phil Woods: Samba du Bois, Musicque du Bois (32 Jazz)
Phil Woods: When The Sun Comes Out, American Songbook (Kind of Blue)
Phil Woods: Stella By Starlight, Early Quintets (Prestige)

8:27pm
Phil Woods: Another Love Song, Here's To My Lady (Chesky)
Oliver Nelson; featuring Phil Woods: I Remember Bird,
Jazz Masters #48 (Verve)
Phil Woods; Jim McNeely: Hodges, Flowers for Hodges (Concord)

8:48pm
Phil Woods: A Little Peace, Live at Sandy's jazz Revival; Beverley, MA
(ONLY ON 89.7FM)

8:59pm
Thelonious Monk; featuring Phil Woods: Friday the Thirteenth,
Orchestra at Town Hall (Riverside)
Bill Charlap; featuring Phil Woods: Bess, You is My Woman Now,
George Gershwin: The American Soul (Blue Note)
Phil Woods: Goodbye Mr Evans, The Colossal Saxophone Sessions (Evidence)

9:29pm
Phil Woods: Hal Mallet, Into the Woods: The Best of Phil Woods (Concord)
Phil Woods; Lew Tabackin: Petite Chanson, Phil Woods/Lew Tabackin (Evidence)
Phil Woods; The Los Angeles Jazz Orchestra: Anthropology,
Groovin to Marty Paich (Jazzed Media)

9:50pm
Phil Woods: Like Someone in Love, Warm Woods (Portrait)
Phil Woods; Jim McNeely: Lotus, Flowers for Hodges (Concord)

10:06pm
Benny Carter; featuring Phil Woods: My Man Phil,
My Man Benny, My Man Phil (Music Masters)
Anita O'Day; featuring Phil Woods: You Came A Long Way From St Louis,
Jazz 'Round Midnight (Verve)
Bob Dorough; featuring Phil Woods: Where Is The Song?,
Too Much Coffee Man (Blue Note)
Betty Carter: Call Me Darling, 'Round Midnight (Atco)
Carol Sloane; featuring Phil Woods: Just You, Just Me,
The Songs That Carmen Sang (Concord)

10:36pm
Phil Woods: Meet Benny Bailey,
This is How I Feel About Quincy (Jazzed Media)
Quincy Jones; featuring Phil Woods: Stockholm Sweetnin',
Q Live in Paris Circa 1960 (Qwest)
Phil Woods; The Festival Orchestra: Nefertiti, Celebration (Concord)

11:00
Phil Woods; Gene Quill: Solar, Bird Feathers (Prestige)
Phil Woods; Johnny Griffin: We Could Make Such Beautiful Music Together,
The Rev And I (Blue Note)
Phil Woods; Vincent Herring; Antonio Hart: Minority, Alto Summit (Milestone)

11:20pm
Gil Evans; featuring Phil Woods: Concorde,
The Individualism of Gil Evans (Verve)
Michel Legrand; featuring Phil Woods: Jitterbug Waltz,
Legrand Jazz (Philips)
George Russell; featuring Phil Woods: Manhattan-Rico, New York, NY (Impulse)

11:48pm
Phil Woods: I'll Be Around, Voyage (Chiaroscuro)
Phil Woods: Everytime We Say Goodbye, American Songbook (Kind of Blue)

Only on 89.7! performances and recordings are exclusive WGBH Radio
productions and are not commercially available.